Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned programming in the arts, culture and recreation across a stunning 10-acre site at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 40 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world by curating over 4000 events annually across its ten-acre site from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design to sailing lessons. There is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre, year-round.
The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery is Canada’s leading non-collecting, public art gallery dedicated exclusively to contemporary visual art from Canada and the world. It is a vital forum for the advanced artistic culture of our time that offers an exceptional facility and professional support to a diverse group of living artists while engaging equally diverse audiences in their work. The Power Plant fulfills its mandate by generating: exhibitions that represent the range of advanced practice in visual arts; publications that provide in-depth explorations of contemporary art; lectures and symposia that encourage debate and further understanding; interpretative tools that invite visitors to question, explore and reflect upon their experiences; programming that incorporates other areas of culture at their intersection with visual art.
Position title: Marketing Communications & Outreach Assistant
Department: The Power Plant
Reporting to: Marketing & Communications Officer
Direct reports: n/a
Salary: To be discussed with potential candidates
Contract term: 2 Year Full Time Contract
The Marketing Communications & Outreach Assistant plays a key role in the maintenance of the gallery’s different communication channels. Working closely with the Marketing & Communications Officer, the role will assist in the implementation of an effective and integrated branding and marketing strategy including marketing production, outreach initiatives, stakeholder communications, media relations, and new media campaigns.
Communications & Promotions
• Assists in implementing strategies for branding and promoting The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery as a public facility and attraction, including the gallery’s exhibitions, public programs and educational events
• Pushes communications for all properties across The Power Plant’s portfolio of activities, including fundraising (Memberships, giving/donation opportunities, fundraising events promotion), outreach programs (Power Youth), public programs (Power Kids, etc.) and engaging in conversation with stakeholders from all aforementioned properties
• Assist in the production and distribution of marketing collateral, including advertising, program guides, signage, invitations and more
• Assist in project-managing the production of The Power Plant’s collateral as needed, liaising with external vendors and designers, obtaining internal approvals, communicating deadlines, submitting final artwork and handling distribution
• Copyedit and proofread copy for The Power Plant’s communications, adhering to The Power Plant’s house style and voice
• Assists with the creation and distribution of press releases and press kits, and addressing media requests and disseminating project information
• Collects and manages press clippings in a timely and orderly manner, producing media reports as needed
• Addresses any image requests, pulling images from archives and securing image permissions for the distribution of items in The Power Plant’s media archives as appropriate
Digital & Social Media
• Maintains and upkeep the website, liaising with external web developers and other agencies to address any issues and updates as needed
• Ensures the communications channels, visitor experience and visitor touchpoints with The Power Plant across all physical and digital communications are consistent; ensuring brand cohesion and effectiveness
• Liaises with departments to develop content for online and social media channels, securing proper imagery, content and messaging
• Assists in the management of the gallery’s social media content calendar; taking full ownership of dissemination and execution, including uploading the content and attending events for live coverage on social
• Engages in social media conversations from the gallery’s accounts; engaging stakeholders from a promotional and brand management standpoint, an informational standpoint and from a customer-service perspective
Administration & Analytics
• Collects, analyse, archive and report on results of specific marketing efforts; incorporating data from numerous departments and external sources to deliver seasonal reports on exhibitions and for the purpose of the organisational annual report
• Researches marketing and communications strategies and best practices for the visual arts community and arts and culture sector; providing the Marketing & Communications Officer with updated reports as necessary
Work, Health and Safety (WH&S)
• All staff are required to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of other personnel (including volunteers and interns) who may be affected by their conduct.
Skills & Requirements
• Degree in business or arts administration with existing knowledge and understanding of basic marketing principles, in addition to keen interest in contemporary art
• Possess superior writing and editing skills, strong interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to deal tactfully with a variety of stakeholders including, patrons, artists, external groups and agencies
• Possess strong organizational, project management and planning skills with great attention to detail
• Proficiency with computer software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.) and social media management tools is a requirement; familiarity with programs such as Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator is an asset
• Note that work at events outside of work hours may be required
Acceptable Applications must include: a current resume & cover letter
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by: Friday, 7 April 2017 by 5PM
Please quote Job Reference #17FC04-ET to: email@example.com
Harbourfront Centre is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.